I want to start getting my preschoolers into being able to recognise their name but realised the only place I really have their names displayed is on their coat pegs. So with this week’s Virtual Book Club for Kids featured book being Freight Train (by Donald Crews) I decided to use this as an opportunity to create some Name Recognition Freight Trains with them.
(this post contains affiliate links)
The book Freight Train is perfect for learning colours and colour mixing as the train moves along through tunnels, cities and over bridges it describes the colours of the trucks and how they merge as the train gets faster.
You will need:
- Coloured paper
- White card
I pre-cut out some coloured squares as well as wheels and a train shape on the black paper for my little ones as they haven’t mastered scissors skills well enough yet.
I then wrote on the letters of their names on the coloured squares and lined up each of their names for them, spelling out the letters and encouraging them to say them with me. They then got busy with the glue making their name trains.
Once all the letters were stuck on with huge amounts of glue (because when do they ever use just a small amount) they added wheels and some steam and we left them to dry.
Getting the wheels on was a bit tricky as I did cut them fairly small so I’d definitely do them bigger next time!
If they ever dry out then I will be putting them up where they have easy access to them so they can point out which one has their name on, try and point out the letters and see if they can find their friends names.
Last month we did a similar activity but this time with leaves which also worked very well….until they dried up and crumbled after a week!
Joining in with the weekly Virtual Book Club for Kids couldn’t be easier and everyone is welcome. Each week there’s a new book to read with your children and a theme associated with the book. Then hop over to the Facebook Group to find lots more inspiration for related activities and share yours.
More transport themed activities from the Virtual Book Club Co-Hosts:
- Alphabet – Alphabet Train- Teach Beside Me
- Numbers – Train Carriage Counting Game – Rainy Day Mum, Transportation I SPY & Graph Printable – School Time Snippets and Train Track Card Game for Preschoolers – Preschool Powol Packets
- Sensory – Transportation Playdough Mat – The Moments at Home and Transport Sand & Water Play – My Bored Toddler
- Cooking – Chocolate Train Cookies – Inspiration Laboratories
- Colours – Fingerprint Train Ornament for Kids- The Educators’ Spin On It
- Pre-Writing – Freight Train Drawing Prompt by My Storytime Corner
- Movement – Easy DIY Paper Train Table for Kids- Toddler Approved
- Shapes – Geometric Shapes Train – Mama Smiles