My preschoolers are currently really into transferring and counting at the moment so today I set up this quick Valentine’s Counting Activity for them.
(this post contains affiliate links)
You will need:
I laminated the heart numbers so they will last longer and so we can use these in other activities such as Valentine’s Playdough or in a sensory tray. I set out everything in a basket but play soon moved next to it as there was more space.
Before starting we organised the heart numbers into order 1 – 10 to make sure we had them all (not sure why they didn’t trust me!).
They then took it in turns to transfer the correct number of gems into the empty mold using the tweezers according to which number was on the heart. Then moved onto the next number.
The tweezers added a great fine motor workout to this activity and made it a bit more tricky for little hands.
To make this activity harder you could use the gems and heart numbers to set some basic maths challenges such as addition and subtraction. My preschoolers were more interested in going off and pretending to cook with them though once they had finished this task.
Areas of Learning:
- Maths – counting, number recognition and sequencing, shapes
- Physical Development – fine motor
More Love Themed Activities from the Kids Virtual Book Club C0-Hosts:
- Alphabet – How to Make a Simple Matching Game for Preschoolers – Mama Smiles
- Name Activity – Raining Hearts Name Craft – Still Playing School
- Numbers – Broken Hearts Number Bonds – Rainy Day Mum and Love Heart Number Line – Adventures and Play
- Sensory – Hearts Sensory Bin-The Moments at Home
- Cooking – Easy Heart Shaped Pancakes -The Educators’ Spin On It
- Science – Preschool STEM: Valentine’s Tower – Preschool Powol Packets, Coding for Kids- JDaniel4’s Mom and Raining Hearts Viscosity Experiment – Inspiration Laboratories
- Pre-Writing – Prewriting Valentine’s Day pack – Kori at Home and Throw a Love Fest | Kindness Party for Kids- Toddler Approved
- Shapes – The Day It Rained Hearts Process Art – Artsy Momma and Easy Heart Art Painting – Messy Little Monster