This afternoon we made these delicious Bear Paw Cookies and it was very much worth breaking my ‘trying to eat more healthy’ habit for!
(this post contains affiliate links)
This weeks Kids Virtual Book Club featured book is Time To Sleep by Denise Flemming which tells the tale of the forest animals settling down for their winter nap. However, like most children, the animals try and put it off just a little bit longer.
To accompany the book we decided to bake as we haven’t done any for awhile. I wanted something Jack could join in with as well so settled on Bear Paw Cookies which are simple enough to bake and decorate.
- 220g self raising flour
- 120g softened butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 80g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- Vanillla essence
- Giant chocolate buttons
How to make Bear Paw Coookies:
1 Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
2 Beat together the butter and sugar
3 Add the egg and vanilla essence and beat together again
4 Sift the self raising flour and combine until the mixture forms a sticky dough
5 Roll the mixture into little balls and place on a non stick baking tray and squash down slightly
6 Bake for 8 – 10 minutes and remove them whilst they’re still soft.
7 Once cooled we added a cholocate button in the middle and broke the rest in half to create the bears claws.
The chocolate buttons did start to melt a bit as the cookies were still warm when we decorated them but the kids couldn’t wait any longer to finish them off….and of course eat them.
More Bear fun:
Don’t forget to check out these fun bear themed activities from Weekly Kids Virtual Book Club Co-Hosts
- Alphabet activity – Upper and Lowercase Matching Puzzles Bear Themed – Sea of Knowledge and Bear Paw Alphabet Tracks – Inspiration Laboratories
- Name activity – Bear Paw Names – Rainy Day Mum
- Numbers – Sorting Animals by Big, Medium and Little from My Storytime Corner and Hide and Seek Bear Number Game – The Educators’ Spin On It
- Cooking – Teddy Bear Bread – Messy Little Monster and Three Easy Bear Themed Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers – Toddler Approved
- Colours – Dress-up Bears – Mama Smiles and Color Games for Kids with a Bear Theme – JDaniel4smom
- Pre-writing – Preschool Bear Craft – (painting) Preschool Powol Packets and Bird Seed Bear Craft for Kids – Views From a Step Stool
- Shapes – Build a Shape Bear Paper Craft + Printable – To be a Kid Again
- Movement – Brain Bear Breaks – Sugar Aunts