We love to make these Christmas Tree Cookies every year as they’re so simple yet look really effective…and taste amazing (probably something to with all the sugar!). Only once have we managed to give these away as gifts as they’re so yummy we end up eating them all instead.
(this post contains affiliate links)
You’ll need a Christmas tree cookie cutter like this set from Amazon and if you can’t get hold of any Jelly Tots other small round brightly coloured round sweets would work such as Smarties or M&M’s .
- 175g (6oz) Softened unsalted butter
- 250g (9oz) Plain flour
- 75g (2 1/2oz) Caster sugar
- 1/2 teas spoon of salt
For the topping
How to make Christmas Tree Cookies
1. Cream together the butter and sugar with an electric whisk, you can also do this by hand but I much prefer letting the whisk do the work.
2. Add the flour and salt and mix by hand until it starts to come together in a big sticky ball.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead well
4. Roll the dough out to a thickness of 5mm (1/4 inch) and use a cookie cutter to cut out the shapes
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for around 15 – 20 minutes or until golden. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
7. Next up, Georgia’s favourite part, decorate them. We mixed together a small amount of water with the the icing sugar until it reached the desired consistency (thicker the better so it doesn’t run off the cookies) and add the colouring. Cover the cookies with the and add the Jelly Tots.
When finished take them to a neighbour of give them to friends …..or just eat them all straight away as they’re so yummy!