(This post contains affiliate links)
We’ve had such a crazy week of Halloween and Diwali activities so it was lovely to take a break from it today with this simple maths activity based on the book Owl Babies by Martin Waddell which is also the featured book for this weeks Kids Virtual Book Club.
You will need:
Owl Babies is such a classic that I’ve enjoyed reading it over the years to all my Little Tots especially as it’s a tale of reassuring three baby owls that mummy always comes home which is very fitting with me being a childminder.
To set this activity up I added the feathers to a basket and printed and laminated the number owls so we could use these over and over again.
The activity simply involves selecting the owl numbers one by one and adding the correct amount of features to the tray to reflect the number on the owl.
My own 4 year old tried this out first and although it was a little basic for her she still enjoyed it and even spent ages making sure each owl and the same coloured feathers.
Next my pre-schoolers tried it out who love to count anything they can get their hands on at the moment. Last month they loved counting and ordering these laminated leaves so they were excited to change to feathers this time.
My younger Tots who aren’t at the counting stage yet had a lot of fun with this basket of feathers. The colours and fluffy textures are so beautiful they were quite content to explore it and laugh and the feathers as they slowly fell through the air.
Areas of learning:
- Maths – number recognition, number sequencing
- Physical development – fine motor skills
- Sensory – touching the soft fluffy feathers and describing the texture
- Creativity – colour matching
- Understanding the world – talking about baby owls being cared for by their mum and working parents
More Owl Activities from the Kids Virtual Book Club Co-Hosts:
- Alphabet – Owl Babies Activities – Mosswood Connections, Letter – Roll & Color – Owl Themed Sea of Knowledge and Printable Owl Themed Alphabet Game for Preschoolers – The Educators Spin on it
- Name Activity – Whooo are you? Writing Activity -CraftCreateCalm
- Numbers – Owl’s Day Ordering Activity – My Storytime Corner and Owl Counting Playdough Mats – Preschool Powol Packets
- Sensory – Owl Babies Sponge Painting – Adventures of Adam
- Science – Owl Eyesight STEM Exploration for Kid and Build a nest STEM activity- views from a step stool
- Colours – Feathery Owls Color Matching Activity – To be a Kid Again, Help the owls find their nests – Mama Smiles and Colourful Shape Owl Crafts for Kids – Toddler Approved
- Pre-Writing – Pre-writing Craft for Kids: Scratch Art Owl- School Time Snippets
- Movement Activity – Movement Tricks to Help with Separation Anxiety in Preschool and Owl Puppets – Powerful Mothering
- Shapes – Owl Babies Shape Activity for Preschoolers – Rainy Day Mum