One of the Little Tots I care for is going through the stage of being able to say different colours but not yet be able to match them up correctly….instead they usually just say everything is “red”.
So, as farm animals are big news here at the moment, I decided to combine the two and come up with this simple colour sorting activity.
I tested this activity with my own 4 year old who already knows her colours but still loved doing this and decided she needed to be dressed as Elsa to carry out this farm related task (this post contains affiliate links).
You will need:
I set out the animals in a basket on the table along with the colour cards and jumbo tweezers and she didn’t need any explanation of what the activity was.
Even though she already knows her colours the tweezers still helped to make this a challenging activity. And not content with just placing each animal on the correct colour she also insisted they had to be stood up on the card.
As well as sorting by colours this activity is also a fun way to practice:
- Size ordering (the animals are different sizes)
- Counting to 10 (and beyond)
- Working those fine motor skills using the tweezers
- Naming the animal or making the animal noise
- Finding the correct animal (great for little ones who aren’t talking yet)
This activity was a great extension to this weeks Kids Virtual Book Club featured book Little Blue Truck which features lots of farm animals and is currently Jacks favourite book. So much so its already broken and it’s only a few weeks old.
More farm activities from the Kids Virtual Book Club Co-hosts:
- Alphabet – Farm Animal Beginning Sounds and Bingo Game – Rainy Day Mum, Little Blue Truck ABC Animal Pick Up-Growing Book by Book and Farm Alphabet Scavenger Hunt – Sunny Day Family
- Numbers – Play & Count Farm Animals – My Storytime Corner, Farm Animal I SPY & Graph Printable – School Time Snippets and Number Games Based on Little Blue Truck Books
- Sensory– Litttle Blue Truck Sensory Bin – Adventures of Adam
- Cooking – Haystacks Snack for Kids – Views From a Step Stool and Mud Pit Chip Dip – Preschool Powol Packets
- Science –Farm Animal Races – Inspiration Laboratories
- Pre-Writing –Decorate a Farm Animal – Mama Smiles, Little Blue Truck Farm Animal Story Retelling – Powerful Mothering and Roll-a-Story Fun (Includes Character Printables)—Chickadee Lit
- Movement Activity – Farm Themed Brain Breaks-Sugar Aunts and Hide & Match Farm Animal Puzzle Game- Toddler Approved