Next weeks marks the start of the Weekly Virtual Book Club for Kids 2016/ 2017 and I’m really excited to be co-hositng this along with the hosts Kristina (Toddler Approved), Cerys (Rainy Day Mum) and Kim (The Educators Spin on It) and lots of other lovely c0-hosts.
The concept is simple, each week during the 2016 / 2017 school year the Virtual Book Club will share a featured book and theme related to that book as well as lots of related activities for you to join along with. The book club is aimed at ages 2 – 5 years old and taking part in an activity is a great way to extend themes covered in books.
Weekly Book List for 2016 / 2017
Below are a list of the books for September and October (affiliate links) with the theme for that week in brackets. You can download a free copy of the reading list here.
- 12th September – Ten Apples on Top by Dr. Seuss. (Apples)
- 19th September – Should I Share my Ice Cream? by Mo Willems (Friendship)
- 26th September – Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert (Leaves)
- 3rd October – Five Little Pumpkins by Dan Yaccarino (Pumpkins)
- 10th October – Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle (Farm)
- 17th October – The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle (Spiders)
- 24th October – Time for Bed by Mem Fox (Bedtime)
- 31st Ocotber – Owl Babies by Martin Waddell (Owls)
- 7th November – Bear Gives Thanks by Karma Wilson (Gratitude)
- 14th November – Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs by Mo Willems (Dinosaurs)
- 21st November – (break)
- 28th November – Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site by Sherri Duskey (Construction)
- 5th December – The Gingerbread Man by Jim Aylesworth (Gingerbread Man)
- 12th December – The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg (Trains)
- 19th & 26th December (break)
Every Monday the book club hosts and co-hosts will share a featured book related activity that covers one of the below preschool concepts. Want to join in? Find out how below.
- Fine Motor
- Gross Motor
How to join the Virtual Book Club for Kids
There are lots of ways you can join in the fun with the Virtual Book Club for Kids:
1) Grab a copy of the first book on the list ready for the week starting the 12th of September and read it with your child.
2) Try out some of the crafts and activities related to the book with your child that will be posted by the co-hosts every Monday in the Virtual Book Club for Kids Facebook group.
3) Share a photo or tell us about the book-inspired activity you did with your child over in the Facebook group.
4) Create your own book-inspired activity using the featured book and share it on your blog or in the Facebook Group.
5) Create your own book club with friends using the featured books and activities form the Virtual Book Club. Read more about creating our own club here with this post from Toddler Approved Tuesday.
Comment below to let me know if you’re planning on joining in the fun with your little ones. I can’t wait to see all your ideas over in the Facebook group and don’t forget to come back on Monday to see our 10 Apples on Top activity.