There truly is no greater combination of food than Marmite and cheese. This afternoon I let the Little Tots help me make these simple and yummy Marmite and cheese straws using just 3 ingredients. These make a great snack or addition to a picnic.
- Puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten (optional)
This is not a recipe that I ever measure out ingredients for as you can’t go wrong and which makes it even easier for little hands to help with.
How to make Marmite and Cheese Straws:
1. Roll out the pastry (or spread out if you cheat like me and use the ready rolled stuff). We used about half a pack.
2. Spread one half with marmite.
3. Heap on lots of grated cheese.
4. Fold in half and flatten down with a rolling pin.
5. Cut into strips of about 1cm and twist before placing on a baking tray.
6. Brush with a little beaten egg and place in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden.
7. Once ready transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool. We had ours with lunch whilst still warm. Delicious!
I wasn’t sure if Jack would be much help (he’s just turned 13 months old) but he was actually great and really enjoyed it. I think he’s spent so long watching big sister help me bake that he was so happy it was finally his turn.
If your little ones love these marmite and cheese straws why not try our Cheese Puff Stars which are very similar or our most popular recipe is these Broccoli and Cheese Muffins that all my Little Tots always love or you can find all our yummy and easy recipes here.