Now the summer is officially here we have been enjoying lots of lunchtime picnics both in the garden and at the park so I thought I’d share this simple savoury broccoli and cheese muffins recipe which is always a hit with even the most fussiest of eaters (this post contains affiliate links).
These muffins are quick to make, great fun to do with the children and an exciting alternative to sandwiches. I have been making them for my own little girl since she was 6 months old as they make an easy first finger food and are especially good for toddlers who like to dodge their veggies.
- 8 oz of plain flour
- 5 oz grated cheese
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- handfull of cherry tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 6fl oz of milk (I use whole milk if making for babies / toddlers)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
How to make Broccoli & Cheese Muffins:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (375F)
2. Cook the broccoli until tender (boil or steam) and mash with the back of a fork
3. In a bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, cooked broccoli and cheese
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, oil, beaten egg, milk and mix well
5. Spoon the mixture into a greased 12 hole muffin tin (the consistency should be a moist, sticky dough that is quite thick)
6. Bake for around 30 minutes or until golden
7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Once cooled store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and eat cold or, if we’re at home, I reheat them for 30 seconds in the microwave. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months, just take them out when you need them and reheat once defrosted.
As I make these for babies and toddlers I’ve omitted any seasoning, so add salt and pepper or paprika, mustard powder or even some fried onion if making them for older children or adults. Alternatively you could swap the broccoli for spinach, leeks, peppers or pretty much any combination of vegetables.
This post is an entry for the #MorrisonsMum (or #MorrisonsDad) Summer Recipe eBook Challenge sponsored by Morrisons, which has recently cut prices on over a thousand every day products. Find out more here price checker tool. I am entering this recipe under the ‘Picnic Favourites’ category.
If you’re little one likes these why not try our other baby and toddler friendly recipes?