Halloween is just around the corner and we’re already starting with the Halloween activities. This week I’ve another toddler and preschool favourite, playdough, to help with some fun learning through play.
(this post contains affiliate links)
This weeks featured books for the Virtual Book Club for Kids is one that we actually enjoy all year round, Five Little Pumpkins by Dan Yaccarino and is a fab counting and rhyming book that is perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.
For this activity, we created our own playdough pumpkins and used them for counting to 5 and retelling the story.
You will need:
- Orange playdough
- Green straws
- Googley eyes
- Black card or foam (or buttons or pipe cleaners)
I then enlisted the help of my preschooler to help cut some green straws into smaller bits along with some mouth shapes for the pumpkins out of the black card.
We had such great fun designing our own pumpkins and it was also a great opportunity to talk about emotions as each of the pumpkins in the book has a different expression on its face.
As well as making sure we made 5 pumpkins like in the book we also had fun counting out googly eyes and which pumpkin was the biggest or smallest.
Once they were happy we had 5 playdough pumpkins we then used them to re-tell the story and talk about other things the pumpkins might do…apparently they like eating worms and having baths.
And of course, it wasn’t long before our lovely playdough pumpkins became giant massive monster pumpkins according to Jack.
More pumpkin fun from the Virtual Book Club for Kids co-hosts:
Don’t forget to stop by and check out these amazing Five Little Pumpkins themed activities from the Kids Virtual Book Club hosts and co-hosts.
- Name – Name Pumpkins on a Gate – Preschool Powol Packets
- Numbers – Dabber Pumpkin Count – My Storytime Corner
- Cooking – Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies – Mama Smiles
- Science – Stacking Pumpkins STEM Activity – The Educators’ Spin On It
- Pre-Writing – Tracing Worksheets with a Pumpkin Theme by JDaniel4’s Mom and Pumpkin Pre-Writing Activity with Chalk Markers – Inspiration Laboratories
- Movement – Puppet Craft Activity and Acting Out the Story-The Moments at Home
- Shapes – Pumpkin Shape Memory Game – Rainy Day Mum
Don’t forget to join the Virtual Book Club for Kids Facebook group and share your ideas with us.