Autumn is my favourite time of a year to go out walking with the Little Tots, with so many different colours and textures all around us it’s a lovely time to discover the change in seasons.
(this post contains affiliate links)
This week we have been enjoying the featured book from the Kids Virtual Book Club, Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert so I decided to create this Spell Your Name with Leaves activity to compliment it.
You will need:
Once our leaves had dried out I selected some in a similar size as possible and used the marker to write the individual letters of the children’s names on them. Children that are writing can do this stage themselves.
I set out the leaves with some blu tack and paper and let them try and find all the letters to spell out their names. Depending on their ability you could mix other letters up with their name letters to make it more challenging.
The blu tack added an extra fine motor skills work out as they pulled off small bits to attach under the leaf and then push to the board.
My younger Tots needed a bit of help with recognising some of the letters of their names at first but after a few goes they quickly got the hang of it and really enjoyed peeling off the leaves and putting them back again.
Once finished you could permanently mount the leaves onto a piece of card with glue and display it but the Little Tots decided they didn’t want to do this and instead asked for more letters to spell things with….so we need to go on another nature walk pronto!
More leaf activities from the Virtual Book Club Co-Hosts:
- Numbers – Leaf Measurement and Sorting Activity – Inspiration Laboratories
- Sensory – Fall Sensory Bin-The Moments at Home, Autumn Leaves Crayon Rubbing – Mama Smiles and Foil Leaf Preschool Art – Preschool Powol Packets
- Cooking – Cinnamon spiced autumn leaf cookies – Rainy Day mum
- Science – Handprint Fall Tree Craft – Messy Little Monster, Nature Color Hunt – My Bored Toddler and Leaf Rubbings With Water Color Resist – To Be A Kid Again
- Colours – Leaf Printing – CrArty Kids and Fall Color Leaf Viewer -JDaniel4’s Mom
- Pre-Writing – Pre-Writing Activity Leaf Theme – The OT Toolbox and Collaborate Leaf Tree with Cutting Practice from My Storytime Corner
- Movement – Fall Leaf Movement Activity with Sidewalk Chalk – The Educators’ Spin On It and Fall Leaf Color Stomp- Toddler Approved
- Shapes – Fall Leaf Color Stomp- Toddler Approved
Don’t forget to join in and share your leaf activities this week on the Weekly Virtual Book Club for kids Facebook group.