My Little Tots are really enjoying trying to colour match at the moment so I set up a rainbow fine motor activity for them today to test their skills.
This activity also ties in with this weeks Kids Virtual Book Club featured book A Rainbow of My Own by Don Freeman and would also make a fun St Patrick’s Day activity.
(this post contains affiliate links)
You will need:
Firstly I drew a simple rainbow using the pens onto the white card. Older children could draw their own or even paint one. I did this colour matching activity with 1 and 2 year olds though so if I give them paint they’ll turn the paper brown.
I then laid out a basket of coloured pom poms and tweezers and they had a go and transferring them onto the matching coloured line.
Learning to master the jumbo tweezers can take awhile but it’s an excellent way to build up those hand muscles which are later used for writing.
It didn’t take them long to work out to match the colours as we’ve been doing a lot of this recently and as an added bonus this was a great chance for lots of counting.
It was a bit of a squash fitting all the pom poms on so I think next time I’ll use a much bigger piece of paper!
This activity could also be turned into a craft to keep by gluing down the pom poms once finished…..although make sure to use a strong glue as pom poms are extra resilient to PVA glue!
More rainbow activities from the Kids Virtual Book Club Co-Hosts:
- Alphabet – Rainbow Alphabet Activity- Growing Book by Book
- Name Activity – Rainbow Name Craft for Kids
- Numbers – 5 Math Games using Painted Rainbow Counters – The Educators’ Spin On It
- Sensory – How to make rainbow spaghetti – Sensory play for kids -Messy Little Monster, Find the Unicorn Rainbow Sensory Bin – Inspiration Laboratories and Taste Safe Rainbow Sensory Play – Adventures and Play
- Colours – Preschool Color Activities – Roll and Cover Rainbow, Mixing Colors to Make a Rainbow – Mama Smiles and Construction Paper Rainbow Craft from The Moments at Home
- Science – Awesome Rainbow Experiments for Kids- Teach Beside Me
- Pre-writing – CVC Word Family Rainbow Puzzles – Sea of Knowledge and Rainbow Words – Rainy Day Mum
- Movement activity – Rainbow Preschool Music Craft & Song – Preschool Powol Packets