Last year was the first year I introduced our alternative advent calendar to the Little Tots and opening up a fun Christmas activity each day was definitely a big hit with them, I don’t even think they missed the chocolate. So this year we’re doing it again and today I’m sharing our 24 simple advent activities for kids. These fun Christmas ideas are suitable for babies, toddlers and preschoolers.
I was given these beautiful red and white advent calendar pegs as a gift so I’m not sure where they’re originally from but here’s some similar ones I’ve found on Amazon.
So to make sure there’s no disappointment I’ve kept our list of fun Christmas ideas really simple and it’s also easy to change ideas round to different days if plans change or remove ideas and add in different ones. Most of these we did last year (hence why I already have photos) so I can’t wait to do them again this year.
1. Write a letter to Santa (post by 5th December to get a free letter back with the Royal Mail)
2. Choose a Christmas tree and a new decoration and decorate the house for Christmas
3. Make some homemade Christmas cards
4. Visit the library to choose some Christmas book (or read the ones we already have)
5. Make some homemade gifts. Last year we made crayons and reindeer hot chocolate this year we’re doing bath bombs and Christmas chocolate.
7. Make some salt dough Christmas decorations
8. Decorate a ginger bread house
9. Visit Santa’s grotto (and his reindeer if you’re lucky)
10. Make some winter snow flakes decorations
11. Whip up a batch of festive playdough (great for play dates)
12. Snuggle up with hot chocolate, popcorn and a Christmas movie
13. Make some homemade wrapping paper and wrap presents
14. Make reindeer food ready for Christmas Eve
15. Visit a Christmas Market
16. Put some Christmas music on and dance round the house
17. Paint some snowy pictures using puffy paint
18. Wrap up warm and go for a winters walk
19. Donate old toys to charity of a local church
20. Bake some Christmas cookies and take them to your elderly neighbours
21. Have a go at these cute and easy snowman crafts
22. Find some Christmas lights or displays at night
23. Bake mince pies for Santa
24. Open our Chrismas Eve Box and track Santa.
There’s also a few I’ve had to miss out due to G starting to read now so I couldn’t put her surprise trip to Peppa Pig World in there in case she opens them when I’m not looking.
What fun activities have you got planned with the little ones?